Monday, February 18, 2013

Visitor Resident Continuum

'computer' photo (c) 2005, Tim Morgan - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
Reflect on where you are on the Visitor-Resident Continuum and how you see your future on the Internet:


In imagining the continuum of the Visitor-Resident principle as described in the video, I currently view myself somewhere in the middle leaning towards resident. I would say that I do have somewhat of an online identity, however, that persona is somewhat stagnant at the moment. Through this course, I am definitely enhancing my online identity, but before that it was more of a shell rather than an interactive persona.

I would consider myself a communal resident, but I have not yet explored being truly collaborative. I enjoy being a part of certain online communities, however, I am not very active. This course is providing more of the spaces necessary and forcing me to become more collaborative. I see the Internet as a very positive area to engage in relationships of sharing knowledge and ideas, however, I am often overwhelmed by the possibilities. I think that because the infinite possibilities provided by the Internet overwhelm me, it is hard to narrow down (or have the time to narrow down) and make using the Internet as a space effective. In this way, I often use it more like a visitor, as a tool that I pick up when I need it and then put it down.

I really liked when Dr. White said, “It isn’t about just knowing how to use technology, but one must be able to integrate it appropriately to make it effective.” I completely agree with this statement and believe that I am still learning not only how to use technology but also more importantly, when to use it so that it is effective.

1 comment:

  1. Kitri,
    I agree that finding the time to use social media effectively is difficult. It must be about more than scrolling through facebook and getting lost in pinterest (something that happens to me a lot!). I think that you've touched upon a reason that I've really shied away from fully embracing social media: often it seems like a huge drain on my time. Hopefully we can learn to use it more efficiently.

    ReplyDelete